Sound Horizon and Linked Horizon are the productions of the artist Revo, with him being the only permanent member. This board is for related discussions from fans.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Symbolism - The Cicada

View previous topic View next topic Go down
AuthorMessage
Thanako

Chancellor

Symbolism - The Cicada Empty
Thanako

PostSubject: Symbolism - The Cicada Symbolism - The Cicada EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 1:37 am#1

The use of a cicada as a symbolism in Chronicle (Natsu no Shigure) may seem a bit deceptive, and you would be right to come to this assertion. In the usage of the word within Chronicle, we compare a person to a cicada, and this could cause confusion. Some people don't even know what a cicada is.

A cicada more often than not does not act alone. There are an innumerable amount of cicadas that often emerge all at once, but... This isn't always the case. In fact, there are many who awake too early, or too late, when compared to the other cicadas.

A cicada chooses when it wants to be born. Similarly, many humans seem to have a choice in the matter, coming out at seemingly random times. Kimi ga Umarete Kuru Sekai is centered around birth in particular. Centered around wanting the one to be born to desire the world. Thinking deeper, you may want to read here, where I more fully discuss the aspects of rebirth, another meaning behind the cicada's symbolism.

Incidentally... This same symbol is repeated, or rather observed, within the realms of the 5th horizon - Utsukushiki Mono. There are two different ways to approach this song, however, and I would like to offer some insight.

The name, Moniqua is mentioned.

This name can mean multiple things, which may mean that it isn't meant to be used as a name at all. From a Greek perspective, this name could mean as "single, only, alone". However, Latin is a bit more complex. The word may mean as adviser, unique, a reminder, a warning, an encouragement, foreseeing, or even take on religious meaning of "nun". It is by no means a word that is limited to one interpretation, as is the case with Sound Horizon quite frequently.

-- That girl, Moniqua, sang out a pretty sound. The cicadas were humming. The clock's hands continuing were along.

-- That girl, in remembrance, sang out a pretty sound. The cicadas were humming. The clock's hands continuing were along.

-- That girl, all alone, sang out a pretty sound. The cicadas were humming. The clock's hands continuing were along.

Interpretation is everything in Sound Horizon. Revo doesn't coherently tell the stories and loves to mix things up and cause confusion.

Moving on, a cicada, choosing the own birth, can also be interpreted to represent time itself. In the above example from Roman, it uses a clock, similarly to how we officially open up Sound Horizon itself with Black Chronicle.

Onto some closing notes... A cicada has to be patient to wait for the right moment, after all. Some can be dormant for over a decade. As is the case with many insects, metamorphosis as a symbol is also to be taken into account. Although the context of Chronicle and Roman don't support it, cicadas are known to work together, unless they emerge at the wrong given time, and become stragglers.

In the sense of Sound Horizon alone... This symbol is very important because it heavily relates to many other symbols, such as the light, warmth, and even the stars (the sun is a star).

To me, the idea behind using a cicada boils down to someone having a choice in the matter of when they're born, or reborn. But, what do you think? It isn't exactly the most common of Revo's symbols, even if it is a rather powerful one.

Last edited by Thanako on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://strophe-horizon.rpg-board.net
Thanako

Chancellor

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: Symbolism - The Cicada Symbolism - The Cicada EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 2:11 am#2

Post is going to be cleaned up soon, sorry for the mess.

Last edited by Thanako on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Miyumi

Miyumi

PostSubject: Re: Symbolism - The Cicada Symbolism - The Cicada EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 5:12 am#3

Basically, depending what origin of name Moniqua/Monica we conclude it is, it may be read in different way. If we conclude this is Latin, it may be either from "moneo, -ere, -ui, -itum", which mean "to advice" as was mentioned (my dictionary also says it may mean "to remind", "to warn", "to embolden" or even "to foresee") or it may be from "nonnica" which comes from "nonna" ("nun"). If we conclude this is Greek, it may come from "μόνος (monos)" - "single, only".

I mean - I'm sorry for adding it to post not cleaned yet and focusing on one and unimportant aspect of this post, but those lines where you used "alone" and "nun" instead of name interested me, so I had to do at least quick research.
Plus I am sucker when it comes to etymology...
Back to top Go down
http://crimson-camelia.tumblr.com/
Thanako

Chancellor

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: Symbolism - The Cicada Symbolism - The Cicada EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 2:28 am#4

I've cleaned up the post, and moved it into the theories section due to some additions. I've also taken out some other things, and would like to thank Miyumi for her own insights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Symbolism - The Cicada EmptySymbolism - The Cicada Empty

PostSubject: Re: Symbolism - The Cicada Symbolism - The Cicada Empty#5

Back to top Go down

Symbolism - The Cicada

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1